PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you encourage your child to join the military?
Old 24th Feb 2003, 12:35
Postman Plod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although its no longer part of our job description as VR(T) bods, or part of the ATC aims, RAF recruitment is kind of unofficially part of the whole reason for existance of the ATC / ACO.

I'd say only about 10% of my cadets are actively interested in joining up, and in fact many of them tend to go for the Army rather than the RAF. (why are they in the ATC is what I wonder?!)

Looking at the RAF from the outside, I'd say there is still an awfull lot that it can offer, as long as the applicant is completely aware of what they are signing up for, and I think that is the whole problem - the applicants haven't a clue... I know from past experience, that the more experienced ones on this board can be quite "jaded" about the RAF as it is now, as it's not what they joined - which it clearly isn't. I think they would still see positives in the RAF though, and honestly that is what I try to "sell" to any cadets who are interested. I just wish recruitment material would be honest, but then that doesn't give the RAF a nice glossy corparate image, and would be rather unappealing to the prospective employee.....