PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaya pre '62?
Thread: Malaya pre '62?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 17:58
deltahot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite right Old-Duffer, I just wanted to start something for that era and was hazy on detail. Now done homework ... after sort of mastering the Sycamore at S Cerney, I arrived at KL in 1959 after a few weeks embarkation leave in UK, dealing only with the movers, via a prolonged flight in a Britannia to Changi, then a wonderful clattering train journey to that fabulous rail station at KL. I was posted to 194, but was greeted on arrival with "but your posting was cancelled, there is no 194 Sqn". The Sycamores had been grounded for weeks by then, 155 Sqn had been disbanded, and 110 Sqn formed with, presumably, 155's Whirlwind 4s. I was lucky to get my feet under the table as 110's adjutant and not be sent home and thus had my only 3 months ground tour in 38 years of the RAF ... not too arduous, I seem to remember mainly writing Squadron Routine Orders, cranking some antiquated telephone and bellowing down a line to FEAF Headquarters down in Singapore. I got a fair bit of unloggable time in the Whirlwind and eventually a formal conversion, and we got a proper adj. Then we all moved after a few months up to Butterworth with the Aussies, lived on Penang, greeted "Merdeka", and had the best 3 years of my life.

We operated the Whirlwinds for a bit, then the Sycamore's problems were resolved. As I was by then one of a few theoretically qualified on them, I had several trips down to, I think, Seletar to ground run the beasts ... some right rocking and rolling ensued to get those blades back in track (there was a flat plate attached to the top of the cyclic with a sheet of paper on, and you held a pencil on it to trace the crazy antics of the feedback, manual controls of course, to give some sort of trace to get an initial coarse tracking correction). And then the Whirlwinds were replaced by the Sycamores once again, and they were amazingly reliable.

DH