PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why the second half dip?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 15:36
White Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FalconEasyDriver
Pure pure speculation on my part, but based on testimony from various station managers at various points regarding the 380 and its apparent economics.
The airframe when introduced to new destinations certainly has the wow factor, a great many bums on seats are encouraged to pay a premium over and above the going rate for a seat on the other legacy type. Over time as the wow factor recedes, the bum becomes less enamoured with the wow, and more concerned with the how much. Given enough time (we are a year or so into this cycle) the bum actively seeks the legacy price, rather than the wow price.
Given enough time, there is no more premium paid and it becomes a struggle to fill seats from less slot or capacity constrained ports, so much so in fact that discounted tickets account for a large % of passengers carried, and the large premium cabin is populated by a great many free upgrades.
Meanwhile the rapid rate of expansion ensures a dilution of service levels and is compounded by the perception from staff of a punitive management culture that disengages individuals and creates customer service staff who are neither willing, capable or empowered to resolve day to day issues that add value to the companies brand.
Funny that. Apollo showing LHR flights booked to 650 plus on EK1 today, and overbooked by at least 50 every other LHR flight.

Get over it Boeing people. You ARE destined to do DOH, BAH, MCT, IKA, KHI turnarounds and fewer layovers. I did see that BNE is going 'Super' from 1st of October too

I wonder why?