PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK IR exams running out
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 19:12
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Jymil. I completed my ATPL exams in 2005 (whatever amendment that makes them), and have been told in writing by the CAA that they remain valid for ATPL(H) issue indefinitely, so long as a type rating has been maintained on my CPL(H). This would be an ATPL(H) VFR if the IR(H) was not completed, either within 36 months of passing the initial exams, or having re-sat the IR exams. It is possible to then 'upgrade' the ATPL(H) VFR to an ATPL(H) IR by simply 'adding-on' an instrument rating.

The CAA said "It must be understood that for Helicopters, the ATPL and the IR are no longer conjoined as in the past. It is possible to hold an ATPL(H) VFR and add the IR at a later point if required."

The CAA also said "In reference to your email regarding the validity periods for ATPL(H) and IR(H) theoretical knowledge examinations, firstly and in clarification JAR-FCL 2 ceased in the UK on 17th September 2012 and has been superseded by the EASA Aircrew Regulation (EU Reg 1178/2011) which is now law. The requirements of JAR remain mostly unchanged but there are some minor differences."

Re the type rating, does an R22 count? Seriously, I may have missed it but it doesn't define what helicopter's type rating has to be entered on the licence to qualify for the validity period. If I am wrong, I apologise.
Again from the CAA - " If the type rating (any type) remains valid on the licence, in essence the ATPL theory credit remain valid indefinitely."

Last edited by Aucky; 17th May 2013 at 19:22.