PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 07:02
jet_737ng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I have first hand experience in Nepal , I would never fly a Nepalese carrier .Pilots often talk about lukla as the scariest place to land , Jomsom would be a close second. It just receives less press.
There are few things in Nepal you can't change like the mountains but what the major regulators bodies can assist the Nepalese aviation in changing is training standards , education on CFIT , and SOP's .
These are extremely brave people who are inadequately trained and equipped .

There fore they leave all to karma . Unless bodies like ICAO or JAA put pressure and offer assistance nothing is going to change . remember Sita airways crash in KTM just a few months back.

FYI local airlines sent their pilots outside Nepal for sim training but none of them are required to do a check ride abroad since most of their pilots are put down. They hire expats with dubious places as examiners and do their check rides in Nepal. Also most small turbo training like the twin otter done directly on the aircraft with local pilots. Most pilots have inadequate instrument training to handle IMC conditions .
I just hope Regulators take notice since most local traffic are tourists visiting the Himalayas .