PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 14th May 2013, 22:44
newfieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)

How's about marry a Canadian girl, I did got me in. Well actually been here a few years flying but hey.....
You want fun and games lots of medium time, intermediate time on the end of a long line many hours a day avec a bucket try Canada on a busy year . I think biggest for me was Virginia Hills fire 98 season, 163,200+ hectares, same year Tall Cree even bigger I seem to recall and spent two seasons having fun on that one, burnt underground all winter go figure. Minds you had some sad times, lost a few good buddies and watched helplessly as many a fine value burns after spending many hours trying to stem the tide, Kelowna comes to mind. It's long days, very tiring in low vis, very dense traffic, multiple FM, VHF, UHF freqs to monitor. But at the end of the season it gives me I know, time to reflect on a job well done and a feeling that we actually accomplished something. Best of all the commardarie of the crews and the lifelong friends made. Knowing Gordy I'm sure he feels the same.

It's the start of fire season here in Canada, always Mother Nature has the last say, so unpredictable. Be safe out there boys/gals. We'll talk on freq soon I'm sure.