PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TR and 500hours, still looking for a job???
Old 9th May 2013, 17:18
Desert Budgie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious. I keep hearing how these pay2fly schemes are going to help folks get a job in Europe. Who in Europe HIRES (I mean hires and PAYS) direct entry type rated FOs at the moment. Must be able to count them on one hand.

You also have to consider some of the extra requirements when looking for work. There may be jobs in say Germany, Italy or France for example. However do you speak German, Italian or French? If not you will be unable to apply there.

Next thing if you do consider these pay2fly schemes, please be careful if you end up at some black listed carrier in the Far East. You may have some experience on the 737 or A320 but how many airlines in Europe are going to hire you after flying there? Someone commented about moving out of Europe and if you do that's it. You'll be an expat life. I have to agree, very difficult to move back. Also, to reiterate from a previous comment. 2000 at a foreign carrier isn't gonna get you any closer to a command in Europe than if you were a flight instructor. Your gonna come back after 3 or 4 years and if your fortunate enough to get another job, slip in at the bottom of the seniority pile.

I know 2 guys who went through pay2fly. For one guy it worked out. Did his time, was offered a job and has gained some good time over the last 5 years. However he desperately wants out, can't find another job. Had his application in with the middle eastern carriers for a year and still hasn't been short listed. And he works for a good European operator. Worth noting that out of 10 pay2fly guys on his course, he was one of two that actually got hired.

The other guy I know that did it didn't get anywhere. Thought it was the best thing ever 5 years ago. Flew around for free for a year or so, was let go when his contract was up and now he's living with his mum. And she is helping to cover his loan payments. 29 years old, no flying job in 4 years, barely covering the interest payments on his loan. What a disaster, feel so sorry for the guy. But he was warned...

Moral of the story. It's entirely up to you which path you take. Just please remember, you have been warned countless times on these forums. Please. Listen to us when we tell you for every 1 success story there are 9 people who it didn't work out for who are living with mum.

One more thing that is food for thought. If you pursue a pay2fly scheme, get released after 500 hours and can't find a job. You know why that is? Because of new guys paying to fly! It's a vicious circle isn't it!?!

Last edited by Desert Budgie; 10th May 2013 at 01:32.