PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2013, 13:23
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it known that somebody actually is going to leave? Is it just several reductions from carriers or simply just utilising more slots?

If an airline does leave then I think FlyBe would be the one to go since they are so unhappy about the pricing structure. Aer Lingus is a strong possibilty although I can't see them moving to Stansted or Luton in all honesty.

Having said that, now that Stansted is owned by MAG, could someone like Thomson or Monarch see a benefit in relocating (or atleast moving some flights) to Essex to operate under the same management as their large base at Manchester? The timing is about right for Summer 2014 announcements for these carriers also and it was previously stated by MAG that they would be talking to the big carriers at Manchester to entice them to Stansted as well.

It will certianly be interesting to see what the outcome is. Perhaps a Ryanair base at Gatwick even? I wonder what the cost would be for Stansted? Or could Ryanair close their Luton base (which has stagnated at 4 aircraft for many years) and move to Gatwick? There's so many possible outcomes.

What I do think is that if any airline does leave Gatwick, they won't be leaving the London market, a move to Stansted or Luton would be much more likely! I don't really think many airlines with a significant presence in the market would give up on London! Let the war begin, perhaps?

Last edited by FRatSTN; 8th May 2013 at 13:25.