PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rights as an Irish Contractor?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2013, 07:43
B-U-S-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are the Ryanair pilots situation compared to the definition of being employee or self-employed?
In the company I work for we are engaged through the agency and have no limited company. I can answer yes to all questions under "employee", so I wonder how legal the contracts are?

As a general guide as to whether a worker is an employee or self-employed; if the answer is 'Yes' to all of the following questions, then the worker is probably an employee:
  • Do they have to do the work themselves?
  • Can someone tell them at any time what to do, where to carry out the work or when and how to do it?
  • Can they work a set amount of hours?
  • Can someone move them from task to task?
  • Are they paid by the hour, week, or month?
  • Can they get overtime pay or bonus payment?
If the answer is 'Yes' to all of the following questions, it will usually mean that the worker is self-employed:
  • Can they hire someone to do the work or engage helpers at their own expense?
  • Do they risk their own money?
  • Do they provide the main items of equipment they need to do their job, not just the small tools that many employees provide for themselves?
  • Do they agree to do a job for a fixed price regardless of how long the job may take?
  • Can they decide what work to do, how and when to do the work and where to provide the services?
  • Do they regularly work for a number of different people?
  • Do they have to correct unsatisfactory work in their own time and at their own expense?
Source: HM Revenue & Customs: Employment status