PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F, S, green dot speeds
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2013, 15:57
737Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudderrudderrat. Green dot F and Especially S speed are nowhere near 130% VS. Please don't confuse these speeds with VLS, this question has nothing to do with 130% VS.

The question is completely justified, airbus have provided us with VLS which is the lowest selectable speed that provides a safe margin over VS.
The speed range between VLS and green dot, S or F speed can be something like 50 - 60 kts.
Every takeoff this margin is used, and the bus does bank more than 15 degrees. But on descent airlines prohibit flying i this range between VLS and green dot/S/F.

Now we can come-up with all kinds of imaginary scenarios for the descent/approach case with speedbrakes and bankangles, but I could do the same for the takeoff case. In takeoff this isn't planned nor is it in approach.

The instructor will give a hardtime anytime you don't fly in accordance with company procedures. But technically there is nothing wrong with flying somewhere in between VLS and F, S or O speed.

I have heard people complain about selecting a speed below F/S speed on takeoff (expedite climb for earlier turn in right direction) while the managed speed (same speed) was doing the same for the last 2 minutes or so...

Last edited by 737Jock; 4th May 2013 at 16:08.