PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch - 3
Thread: Monarch - 3
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2013, 10:56
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say again slowly....I shall say this again slowly.....excuse the pun.

I didn't ask for €1,500 initially, I asked for £375, which I believe was reasonable, only when I was fobbed off did I pursue under EU261, if you'd read my previous post in full you would have noticed that I don't especially agree with EU261, however Monarch left me no option.

The £375 included £30 spent on refreshments outbound which should have been FOC due to the delay - I presume you cannot argue with that one?

I don't see what your objection to me asking for contribution towards my days leave is. Our flight was due to land at 10pm, we landed at 5am or suchlike. I have a tough job and to go to work immediately after arriving home after zero sleep wasn't an option. My leave is valuable to me and my family, Monarch's delays (due to a faulty aircraft) cost me a days holiday, only right to re-imburse. Instead, they sent me a patronising letter,therefore I pursue my legal rights which are to €1,500. I might well give most of it to charity, that's not the point, the point is they delayed us, caused significant disruption, when I tried to be reasonable and not use EU261 they fobbed me off, I either let it go or use legal rights, what would you do?
This has happened to me. I just put it down to what may happen and went in anyway. It's annoying, it's unwelcome and it's something that nobody wants to happen, but it did.

I don't feel that I should be recompensed when I stub my toe, a train runs late or I get caught in a traffic jam or for any reason other than someone has deliberately caused me harm or significant bother.

It was you who made the decision not to go to work and yet you feel that someone else should pay you for it. If you have kids and they keep you up all night and you feel tired the next day, then do you ring in sick and hand a bill to your son or daughter? Of course not, you just get on with it.

Life doesn't always run to plan and sometimes things are just inconvenient or don't happen as you want, that's just how it goes at times. 261 is never going to change that. Aeroplanes break down at times, because they are massively complex machines and we don't allow them to go when they aren't safe to dispatch, that means you get delays at times. Or would you rather that some less scrupulous than Monarch operators might decide that worrying about EU261 claims was more important than fixing problems?

Tech delays are a nightmare to deal with for any airline, especially when they happen down route as well.