PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch - 3
Thread: Monarch - 3
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 10:32
Vauban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this - it was very interesting and useful link.

I was one of the unfortunate people stuck in Egypt for 24 hours last year when ZB248's side windscreen apparently cracked prior to take off from Gatwick. I'm simply keen to learn as much about the plane, the nature of the problem, the frequency of this sort of event, and the time it usually takes to resolve it.

I was struck by the generally poor punctuality record of Monarch, compared to other UK airlines. And I wondered whether that was to do, in a general sense, with the age of their fleet. I am so out of my area of expertise here, but assume that the older the plane the more maintenance is generally requires. The CAA's punctuality stats for Monarch do seem pretty poor - to my inexpert eye.

I can see some people feel strongly about Regulation 261/04. My own view, for what it is worth, is that the law is the law. Airlines often insist on their own terms and conditions being observed to the letter, so it seems to me - and I'm not meaning to be controversial - that it is unreasonable not to adhere to this law, however much one might consider it ill-advised. Some of the things I have seen airlines (including Monarch) write to potential claimants strike me as lacking integrity.