PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMBERSIDE - 2
Thread: HUMBERSIDE - 2
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2013, 19:19
circseam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The on going saga of HUY, traffic (lack of) and attracting low cost airlines!

HUY is a regional airport, geographically situated in the middle of the Lincolnshire countryside, the main passenger base being the city of Hull, road links to M180 (M18/M1), no direct rail access and new owners.

Low cost has been tried, Ryanair and didn't last long (assume yield was poor for the route to be pulled) and there seems to be no appetite by any low cost airline to attempt any routes, surely this is a hint that low cost airlines have looked at the airport and decided the catchment area is not sufficient to operate to or from HUY.

The issue with HUY is and has always been one of not enough passengers using the airport, the main reason being the limited catchment area to attract airlines operating any other routes other than the established Aberdeen and Amsterdam routes.

HUY could possibly attract regional airlines but the failure rate of airlines that have previously tried to operate from the airport is staggering, granted the failures may not be 100% down to HUY but suggest had a contributing factor.

I long for a route to be re-opened to London (my own personal whim) but the economies don't add up and think the decent road and rail connections make any such route attractively both price wise to a passenger and / or economies to an airline to prevent such routes commencing.

I just don't see HUY operating flights other than what is already operated and however much people suggest Eastern or other operators utilise the airport they surely have to realise scheduled routes to / from HUY are fantasy.

Interesting times ahead for HUY with a new owner but just don't see the airport becoming more utilised than the current situation.

Last edited by circseam; 28th Apr 2013 at 19:21.