PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Question
Thread: VFR Question
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2013, 22:31
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dear original poster...

you are right, flying a plane is not like driving a car. that's all there is to it.

YES , its hard to avoid collision, but we have made things easier to avoid collision since Orville and Wilbur Wright took turns in the first real airplane.

ONE. We fly at altitudes in such a way that west bound planes are at a different altitude than east bound planes(speak to your instructor about the hemispheric rule for details)

TWO. The other pilot is looking out for you too! so it is a shared responsibility.

Three. A good instructor will teach you how to divide your visual scan to look for other planes and manage your own plane.

Four. Use the lighting system on your plane, including landing light to make YOUR plane more visible to others...oh we hope they do the same too.

Five. Keep those windshields spotlessly clean...even a fly speck can look like a plane at a distance and even obscure a real plane.

Six...Remember if you are in a high wing plane, you can't see up...so clear when you climb! In a low wing plane you can't see below as you descend so clear in the descent...gentle turns can help you see better.

Seven...at uncontrolled airports be sure you use your radio properly to warn other pilots that you are maneuvering near the airport.

Always remember that air traffic control expects you to look out your windows to avoid traffic no matter what your flight conditions or which rules of flight you are under. Even under Instrument Flight rules we are required to ''see and avoid".

I'm in the USA...what the HECK is a zebra stripe?

oh and air traffic control can help, but YOU are responsible for navigation and the safety of your plane .

I realize you are greatly concerned about avoiding collision...I first learned to fly near san francisco california and boy did I learn how to look for other planes quickly.

But remember, your instructor should be helping you look for 'traffic', and things like "12 o'clock high'' aren't just movies or TV shows.

now, sit at home...watch TV...read a book, listen to the stereo and have a conversation all at the same time...can you do that? you have to keep things moving to make sure you pick up on what is going on...hopefully you will learn.

ask your instructor to teach you how to look for planes...its called scanning for traffic...explain to him that you want the landing light on for traffic avoidance...and if he says NO (unless for bonafide wx situations), you need a new instructor.

oh, and buy the book, ''stick and rudder'' by wolfgang langweische.