PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report on Bankstown near miss
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 23:57
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATSB report on Bankstown near miss

Part of the end of month rush of the reports by the ATSB is this report Its a near miss between a Alpha Aviation R2160 and Diamond DA40.

The two aircraft got pretty close. The report puts a lot of emphasis on reports from an instructor in one aircraft and makes no mention of the occupants of the other. It notes that the mode C was not tuned on in one of the aircraft. It also notes that one of the aircraft didn't make a recommended position call.

The conclusion makes a number of comments about the importance of blind spots and high wing vs low wing, but makes no mention of radio calls or the importance of using mode C.

Initially the aircraft code R2160 didn't register and I assumed that this was a case of low wing aircraft descending onto high wing aircraft. In these circumstances I hope that ATC might give a warning (despite not being required to) and assumed that because one aircraft did not have mode C turned on that was probably because it was a private pilot not having full discipline.

However, after a google search, I am reminded that a R2160 is a low wig Robin. So we actually have 2 low wing aircraft. Both Bankstown based. Both owned by training organisations and both 2 pilot with instructors on board.

So - why have any discussion about high wing vs low wing and the importance for wing dipping in turns at all? And why would there not be any discussion that engaging mode C would have given the ATC system a chance to warn of the situation? And why would there be no discussion about having full discipline with inbound and positioning calls in a high traffic / high risk area like the visual approach points to Bankstown.

Without wanting to get into any blame. It would seem to me that a near mid air between 2 low wing aircraft each with big "glass" areas and each 2 pilot with instructors is exactly the sort of incident that should be examined properly. This is the exception that tests the system. Is there any valid reason why one of these training aircraft did not select mode C? Is there a valid reason why the position call was not made. Would either of these things averted the near miss?

Please someone else read the report and tell me if I am missing something, or are they getting the work experience kid to write reports now?