PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 24th Apr 2013, 15:07
SAR Bloke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand that the interest from the ex-Mil pilots might not be that great. Time will tell and it might be a good thing as I the more I hear, the more I believe that there will not actually be that many opportunities for them anyway. Even if they are interested then I can't see that the SARF will be able to release them in useful numbers.

Making life difficult for the ex-Mil crews might seem like a good idea to 'put them in their place' but despite what you might think of them, they do know their stuff and are very experienced at what they do. Do they really need to fly oil and gas for 8 months? That just sounds like being difficult for the sake of it to me. Let's hope that Bristow have a suitable number of civilians with comparable experience to step in on day one if not enough ex Mil pilots are willing, or able to make the move. I for one have already found alternative employment outside of SAR.

Once the transition crew do one base, they move onto the next base etc.
So working on the minimum suggested training time of 7 months, with 7 new bases, that is 49 months (i.e. over 4 years). Is it just me or is there a flaw in this plan?

Edited to add:

TC, it shouldn't be about anyone going cap in hand to anyone. Bristow need good SAR crews and some of the ex-Mil crews will need jobs. If everyone could put their differences aside then it should be obvious that recruitment of some of the ex-Mil people will be beneficial to everybody.

Last edited by SAR Bloke; 24th Apr 2013 at 16:24.