PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour building for CPL/IR - tips?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 11:03
davidbrent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its very honourable to make the best of your hours building, plan challenging flights that build experience and dont degrade your skill level with bad habits.

However, the practical and monitary side of things have to also be considered.

For me, i went to Orlando, Florida. As someone mentioned above, the overall cost worked out less, even after accomodation and the transit over there, but also the timescale in which i was able to complete the hours was a massive advantage.

Whilst in the UK i was scraping away getting an hour here, half an hour there, In Florida i was able to knock out as many as 20 hours in a week, comfortably without knackering myself and having plenty of free time to explore and essentially vacation in Florida.

The typical summer climate consists of very nice clear CAVOK mornings, with a tropical storm of some kind mid-afternoon. My plan was to always book out the aeroplane as early as possible. Try and depart before 8am, before all the school/training traffic kicked off. Fly somewhere for 90 to 120 mins or so, land, have a coffee and fly back, aiming to have handed the keys back over the desk by 1pm. This way, i had completed up to 4 hours of flying in a day, didnt have to deal with any stressful weather, and could go back to the condo and spend the afternoon chilling out in the sun.

Just one of many awesome ways of doing the hours building!

If i had to do it again, id use this strategy for all but say 10 hours up to my 100 PIC, and spend the last 10, perfecting my handling, using conventional navigation and getting into the mindset for the CPL, as i have to admit, my first few hours of CPL training were a bit shaky, i'd let my discipline slide a little whilst hours building.

Enjoy

FO 737-800
2000hrs