PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ari-Ben Aviator
Thread: Ari-Ben Aviator
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2001, 09:06
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seagull

are doing a 100 hours, actual IFR package in a Duchess for approx $6000.

GoneWest

Under FAA rules (some say [I don't know]) you can BOTH log the time as P1.

Your hundred hours of twin time may be 50 hours of flying and 50 hours of looking for traffic and talking on the radio.

Just to clarify some things in this thread, maybe just for my own benefit.

I am assuming in this case that you are teamed up with another pilot who is also multi rated. The phrase 'actual IFR' does not make sense. IFR are the rules you fly under as opposed to VFR. You can be flying IFR and be in IMC or VMC. By actual IFR, do you mean IFR in IMC?

A duchess is a "single pilot machine", no second in command required.

FAA has the concept of Pilot in Command, close to P1 but not identical. When I refer to PIC I am assuming FARs apply.

Now.

If you are in VMC and one pilot is under the hood and sole manipulator of the controls, and it is agreed the other pilot is legally PIC (ie responsible for the safe conduct of the flight) BOTH pilots can log PIC. If the pilot flying is also responsible for the flight, the other safety pilot cannot log PIC, just SIC. This comes from the fact that in VMC (even on an IFR flight plan) you are responsible for separation from VFR traffic in the same airspace. As the guy under the hood cannot possibly separate, then the second pilot becomes required crew, the safety pilot if you will.

Now if you are in IMC ("actual"), only one of the pilots can log PIC. That will be the pilot manipulating the controls. As you are in IMC, ATC becomes responsible for separation (from other IFR traffic) and there is no safety pilot required - even if he handles the radios.

So if you are looking to build hours by both logging PIC, you want to avoid IMC (or actual IFR). Of course, the logbook system is an honour system, but I certainly would not abuse this.

As for $120 per hour for a duchess, this sounds cheap. Are they insured? There are outfits out there who put a CFI in the back seat so there are actually three people logging PIC!

Legal PIC (right seat, safety pilot)
Sole Manipulator of Controls under hood (left seat)
Instructor in the back, saying turn left 120

That puts it up to $180 per hour, which is quite doable and should give the operator a profit.

Naturally this is an 'FAA centric' opinion, from my understanding of CAA logging, it would be quite different. Clear as mud?

[ 07 October 2001: Message edited by: slim_slag ]