PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ari-Ben Aviator
Thread: Ari-Ben Aviator
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2001, 07:52
GoneWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Seagull,

I've never FLOWN from Ari Ben - but I've spent many times working with Mike Cohen (the owner).

The aeroplanes looked great when I inspected them in the hangar - they had six Duchess..all identical...every flight panel was exactly the same (that's what identical means, right?).

Mike was quite open about his deal. Whatever price you are quoted for the package is the price you would be charged.

You would be teamed up with another pilot - you would both have to be trained and tested to fly Duchess and have full instrument rating BEFORE starting this deal.

The two of you would rent the aircraft - pay your $6000 each - and go flying. One of you would be the pilot and fly the plane - the other would look out of the window as a safety pilot (maybe work the radio).

Under FAA rules (some say [I don't know]) you can BOTH log the time as P1.

Your hundred hours of twin time may be 50 hours of flying and 50 hours of looking for traffic and talking on the radio.

If you care, the CAA are well aware of this operation (numerous schools offer it - I'm not attacking Ari Ben here). I had a discussion with the CAA over a beer (or three) in a hotel in Fort Pierce, Florida just two weeks ago - and this scheme was the topic of one of our discussions.....mainly because the new JAA school E.F.T. uses the offices and aircraft of Ari Ben to do its courses.

I'd also note that as winter approaches - nobody can guarantee you actual IFR. This is Florida.

I also quizzed Mike on the rules for taking the aircraft away from base on a long cross country flight - he did not like the idea. He wanted the aircraft to be back at Fort Pierce at the end of every day...partly because he couldn't afford to give you 100% access to the aircraft (as he could fly it all day and make money with it) and partly because it wasn't worth the risk of you suffering a technical problem somewhere a long way away from his mechanics.

The deal seemed genuine - the aircraft looked VERY good - the deal is not acceptable to the UK CAA.

Decide for yourself what you want the hours for. Remember the great saying - "If it sounds too good to be true..."