PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Engine fire on take off training video question
Old 21st Apr 2013, 20:21
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 158 Likes on 32 Posts
I think you've missed the point here Ozy. No one is denying that the maintenance of manual flying skills is highly prudent and any Professional pilot should indeed maintain those skills. What you seem to be advocating is that in a non-normal, high workload situation the PF should continue to hand fly the aircraft. That, I'm afraid, is cobblers.

I don't see how you can deny that your capacity will be increased if the AP is flying the aircraft. "Fault diagnosis can wait......" within reason - burning engine? THR LVRS/ENG MASTERS/FIRE PB's - do they not deserve/require your utmost attention as opposed to ensuring you're not exceeding the bank angle on the EOSID because you've elected to hand fly? Modern AP's do a very good job of flying the aircraft. Likewise, FMGC's with "pop-up" EOSIDS are designed to alleviate pilot workload - BUT IT IS INCUMBENT ON THE CREW UNDERSTANDING HOW TO USE IT!

If my family was in the back of your aircraft and you suffered an EFATO, I would expect you to utilise all the tools made available to you by the manufacturer to facilitate a safe and expeditious resolution to the issue. I would not expect you to load up your PNF in some ill conceived display of your well practiced manual flying skills. We practice skills for when we have to, not because we want to.

A4

Last edited by A4; 21st Apr 2013 at 20:24.