PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2013, 15:12
vectisman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness, I think to compare the current BA operation at Gatwick to the former British Airtours days is a bit simplistic. British Airtours were more seasonal, with very few flights in the Winter. Most destinations were served several times a week and there were only a handful of long haul flights a week. Also most of the fleet went back to BA during the low season.

I agree that BA has focused more on sun routes than previously but they are being served in some cases up to 5 times a day. Providing some good competition with Easyjet to Malaga for example. In addition there are other routes that cannot be simply classed as sun routes. BA also offers different service levels within the cabin. There are also about 60 long haul departures a week most of the year. Of course, this doesn't come anywhere near Heathrow but its useful revenue and keeps 9 777s very busy.

I also agree that the focus of Gatwick is mainly point to point but that doesn't rule out further route development into markets that Gatwick is good at. I believe that BA could do well by increasing leisure destinations as well as those that may carry some business traffic too.
I think having cut their costs at Gatwick recently and bookings on their services this summer looking healthy there could be more to come.
I do agree that it will never be a hub like Heathrow again but with careful planning could tap into some more profitable O &D and leisure destinations.

Maybe Las Vegas will have frequency increased when aircraft become available. I would also like to see Las Palmas this winter. Maybe the Seychelles could work too. Just my opinion anyway.

Unlike others I think Skipness is usually spot on with his analysis and is not anti-BA at Gatwick, but is simply realistic. However I still believe BA will remain at Gatwick certainly for the foreseeable future.

V.