PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - Daily Express!
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2013, 20:40
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The winds up here yesterday were worse than the day before when several flights diverted elsewhere - one after eight laps of the hold. I didn't have internet access yesterday so wasn't able to see what the winds were. Someone I know was on that Ryanair flight and, knowing the media's embroidery skills, I asked him about it and was told that they were swung from side to side quite a bit and that there was an element of the passengers who screamed but he felt that it was understandable if they were of a highly nervous disposition. The flight landed at the first attempt.
The problem with Yeadon is that there is no longer the second runway which was very often the one facing into wind. It was a bad day when they got rid of it. The local topography is such that only rarely does 14/32 face into wind, there is usually a fair degree of crosswind. A friend who flew in and out of there on a regular basis said that he became so used to performing crosswind landings that he almost had to think hard to stop himself preparing for one when faced with a nice, normal into wind approach.