PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-22 Osprey Air Refuel F-35Bs for CVFs? + other stuff
Old 19th Apr 2013, 16:20
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth.....

It's always a bit of a mystery to me how any news of a development in using STOVL aircraft is met, on this site at least, by a chorus of posts pointing out how 'it's not going to work', or how 'it's not worth it anyway', or 'it's going to be too hard to do on a ship'.

Firstly, the usual disclaimer that, hey, it's a free thread, and all and any posts should be welcomed. No-one, in my view, should ever be criticised or ridiculed for their posts. But the best posts (and there are plenty of them) are the ones that offer hard facts and informed opinion. So here's my go on V-22 STOL and MROL....

Firstly, the reason you'd want to do rolling landings and takeoffs is simple. Payload. Fuel and stores. People. You always want more of these. If you can get it, you'll take it.

For most vectored thrust aircraft (and that's what the V-22 basically is) a STOL is invariably a better way to get off the ground, or deck. You get lift out of the wing, and for the V-22, tilting the props forward reduces the downwash on the wing, further improving TO weight. On board ship, it also delivers a massive benefit in reducing the time spent before you reach 'safe single engined' flight. (This isn't news. I know for a fact that the USMC were looking at STOs back in 1998)

The same goes for landings - using the wing (and the V-22 has a very thick, highly cambered wing with full span flaps that gives lots of lift at low speeds) allows you to come back on board with more stuff - useful for a COD sortie.

I believe that a good STOVL aircraft should always be capable of exploited to optimise TO and landing payloads by trading powered lift, thrust and wing lift against the available operating area. That's what's happening here.

On the safety aspects, USN and the USMC have been doing naval aviation for many years, and they are really very good at it. There is simply no way they would try these manoeuvres on a ship without having decent brakes and an acceptable level of control on launch and recovery. Why anyone would think that the V-22 doesn't have proper brakes is a bit of a poser. Have a little faith, guys.

Integrating these manoeuvres with the ship and the deck - again, some people might not have noticed that the whole science and art of naval aviation involves working out how to do the business of aviation, in its many forms, from a small patch of steel in the middle of the ocean. Clever professionals do the working out, just like in all other areas of aviation. If MROLs and STOLs are of use, the USMC and the USN wil work out how to do them safely and effectively.

As far as I know, the CVF still has the extension on the side of the flight deck. I also know that doing F-35 RVLs 'on the angle' was looked at.

Now for my bit of speculation. The USMC have been firmly wedded to VTO operations , but the payload advantages of V-22 STOs could, in my view, lead to a change in the deck ops cycles and methods on the L class ships. And if that happens, the next possibility is adding a ski jump. At present, the USMC are throwing away around 4,000 lb free extra payload for every F-35 launch. I don't know how much longer they want to go on doing that. I wonder (and would love to hear anyone else's view - especially JF's) whether a V-22 could possibly use a ski jump?

Best Regards as ever to all those pushing forward with powered lift

Engines