PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips for nailing a landing?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:01
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry Chuck Ellsworth but I have to disagree quite strongly with your assertion about the usefulness of using the far end of the runway as the new aiming point once the flare has begun, and suggest your proposed experiment to prove your point is completely illogical and irrelevant.
I seldom post here because inevitably it ends up in an argument on a keyboard that is seldom of much benefit to either party.

We can disagree for sure, but an open mind sometimes helps.

For me the easiest approach and landing is the curving approach from down wind to the touch down with a constant bank angle, looking at the far end of the runway during such an approach is not really logical as the far end of the runway will be either off to the left or the right as you are still turning up to the moment of the flare.

My suggestion in the former post of looking a mile past a car you want to stop behind is not illogical...for the simple reason you are looking in the wrong place.....an airplane is really no different when it comes to a visual aim point.

Using the far end of the runway certainly does allow the pilot to maintain a high level of situational awareness!
If your center of aim is at the far end of the runway your situational awareness with regard to height above the runway is degraded for the simple reason you are looking to far ahead.

Last edited by Chuck Ellsworth; 16th Apr 2013 at 17:11.