PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you get into business jet aviation?
Old 15th Apr 2013, 18:38
SwedePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you guys!

Hmmm, for the Ops role you need to be able to do a lot at once. Bookings coming in, people wanting quotes, planes going for service, flights coming up, some flights needs permits, some needs handling to be requested from handling companies, you need to get prices from different handling companies, catering companies, fuel companies and so on for every flight. and then order the catering (some times there is some tricky ones, haha!) order the fuel, the handling, requested rental cars, hotels, helicopters and so on... Some flights comes up weeks early, some just hours before the departure. You need to hunt the pilots down schedule them and often position them to go where the plane is at the moment.... and this is just the beginning.. not to mention the flight planning, performance calculations. pretty sure I missed a lot...
Anyway, Its nice to be able to cope with stress. The Russians that always wait until the last moment to give you your permit number while the pax is in the plane and the commander sits with his finger on the start button and you on the phone is a good thing to try to see if your stress level is ok or not
And not to forget the organ/ambulance flights that pops up in the middle of the night demanding all these things to be done in like 30 minutes....

Its pretty fun, you learn A LOT at operations! I had no idea that it was so much going on behind the scenes. And that will help me when I'm out flying... well, now Im gonna be the one scheduling my own flights and booking my own positioning tickets but still, I understand what people that are involved with every flight and who to turn to when I need something on the line.

Yes my company pays the TR. We have a deal though. I stay on my Operations salary for one year. But thats far away from the amount of money the TR costs so for me that was fair enough. Since my friends and classmates pays themselves into Ryanair right at this moment I'm very happy at my position with my Operations paycheck The one year deal was to make me more attractive to my boss then just to pick a contract guy in these flights where we couldnt make it. At this point I cost just under the contract guy if we would use him at an average of once a week all year round.

dunno if this is interesting for you but read if you want, skip if you like