PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyjet pilots to strike??
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2003, 05:00
Anotherpost75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajk

I’m afraid that as an easyJet pilot (?) in possession of an apparently deep seated ideology, you miss the point entirely. The style of my previous post was couched to emphasize the ease with which BALPA membership could be quickly attained by non-members, so as to add weight in a fighting campaign to improve the lot of all easyJet pilots. It is difficult to imagine in what circumstances BALPA members would be able to coerce non-members to their point of view – perhaps you are confusing such effort with reasoned argument?

In respect of latter day Luddites, I would put it to you that the easyJet BALPA membership, far from figuratively “breaking looms” and so by your implication holding up progress, is, amongst other worthy projects, attempting to pull you all from a grossly inefficient and antediluvian roster system, to one that reflects modern day working practices and satisfies the legitimate aspirations of the airline’s pilot body. Is this not something that you would find appealingly progressive?

LordLucan

I’m absolutely certain that the BALPA/CC pilots are just the kind of congenial and professional colleagues who we all enjoy working with and whose genuine friendship we consistently value. You are, however, in a battle with a very tricky and ruthless adversary, who would unhesitatingly and, may I say, professionally change his negotiating team, if it was not producing the goods. You may all have to consider adopting a similarly hard nosed professionalism in your dealings and, however reluctantly, collectively turn your backs, for the time being, on any considerations of friendship. I’m certain that your BALPA/CC colleagues would not take personally any instruction by the membership to return to the fray and seek a deal more in line with expectations entertained by the wider membership. If, however, individuals felt that such instruction impugned their sense of confidence in which they are held, then it would be for the individual to act accordingly. I do not, however, see that stepping down should be an automatic response to the very worthy aspiration of the membership to a better deal.

Perhaps you should all return to square one. But remember, you are seeking a deal back-dated to the expiry of your last agreement. Also remember that your NO to the present offer, contemptuously slung together on the back of a fag packet and dropped as crumbs to dogs round a table, would place your “management” in something of a quandary, as highlighted by SpannerInTheWerks on 12 February.

Remember also that, as dontdoit astutely pointed out on 9 February, BALPA is the members. It is not some machine or group of strangers, imposing its will on you all. Any result it achieves – good or bad – is merely a reflection of the current collective feeling – in this case the feeling of the easyJet pilots. If most of you are happy with what’s on offer or can’t be bothered to get off your backsides to do something about it if you’re not happy, then what can BALPA do? The result it “obtains” in such circumstances will obviously be dismal.

Moving on, you say that:

“BALPA will never get more than about 50% membership until they provide a lot more value for money and start representing all the pilots not just the concerns of those on the CC.”

If I might draw your attention to highcirrus on 17 February:

“May I therefore suggest that now is not the time for arguments about value for money of BALPA subscriptions or the attractions of the TGWU or IAPA. Now is the time to climb aboard and project some force. After you all win against your management you can indulge in such peacetime luxuries.”

Perhaps he/she should also have mentioned that now is also not the time to cavil about BALPA’s past perceived/real shortcomings. Get this battle won – and you won’t do it unless you adopt the combining facility offered by the BALPA structure - before fighting a quite separate one, if you so wish, over the organisation and administration of the Association.

Finally, I would ask you not to resign your BALPA membership at the moment. Your obvious concern and energy, manifested in your consistent will to post on this thread, is much needed by your fellow pilots – as similar energy and concern is needed from easyJet non-BALPA pilots. Please climb onboard now – all are welcome, including those with a deep seated ideology!