PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T congestion
Thread: R/T congestion
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 18:23
Chocks Away

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally a topic of substance, which goes right to the core of simple "Airmanship"... which is rarely taught nowdays.

A good opening Wally2 and indeed the first couple of replies.
A separate ACD is a must, I feel.

"PDC" clears alot of that up, if they say what little is required, concisely & at the right time but given the many foreign carriers into Australia who don't have English as their major, it is an issue sometimes.
For those people (or airline beginners- we all were once), can I suggest: BEFORE YOU SPEAK- write down what you SHOULD say, practice it, confirm with your other crew, THEN listen on frequency & wait for a space.

Personally, I have "Clearance" up on the comm during preflight well before required, to actively listen to flow or RWY changes before we start. You will hear a trend if its busy, with 1, 2, 3 or 4+ on standby.

IF it is busy, just say your call sign, standing-by... ie "GrogMonkey1 standing-by 5" in this instance, so the controller can activate your "slide" and knows you are ready, instead of jamming it all up with your full RT. It's common sense. He will prioritise based on other movements & planned slots and will get back to you accordingly. When they do, THEN, give the required full Clearance Request (or just respond to what he asks). It is their frequency to control so listen out and await anticipated advice.

(Clear, concise & sharp RT is whats needed in busy times, not excessive readbacks of stuff not required or waffle... save that for quiet times.)

Asia in the air is much worse too now, especially Indonesia/Singapore/Philippines/India/Malay with crew told an ATC frequency transfer, which they select then transmit on immediately, without listening if they are interrupting another interaction... hence the following RT takes up twice the time it should have, to resolve the interrupted transmission and others interrupting.

"Common sense is no longer common"

For those others in positions able to spread/teach this, please do so actively.

Last edited by Chocks Away; 13th Apr 2013 at 19:03.