PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet 2 Recruitment!
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 16:00
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stacee jaxx

I don't know what to expect. I was just surprised that a) the pay was so poor and b) people were "desperate" to join. It certainly wouldn't (even if I wanted to shuttle the bucket and spade brigade around) be an option I could or would consider.

I think that kind of desperation mentioned previously means the end of the experienced pilot being able to consider Airline flying as an option. Not that it's the end of the world!
The starting salary at J2 as an FO is around £44k and SFO £48k which you can achieve within about 18 months, add to this a bit of sector pay and its not bad compared the national average wage of £26k and not hugely different to BA's starting wage of £51k.

As J2 are based in the regions with its lower costs of living the salary will go much further particularly with respect to housing costs. Compare a 2 bed terrace in London with the cost of a 4 bed detached in E.Mids or Newcastle - similar.

The company are expanding and plan to continue to do so for the mid term which means a relatively quick time to command, good job security and much greater pay, compared to other operators. Its a very friendly place to be and going to work is a pleasure not a chore. As others have said you are home virtually every night and no unpleasant night flying unless you do the mail run.

To expect to start on a salary equivalent to what you maybe earning as a more senior pilot at an equivalent sized operator is unrealistic. You need to weigh up whether taking a pay cut in the short term is in your interests for your long term prospects and career oportunities or quality of life. The answer to this equation will be different for each person.

If you work for a TP operator, or overseas and want to return to the UK or want to have a better work life balance compared to some hard working Loco operators J2 is a definite option. It may/will not suit all but its worth a look.

If you don't apply and get a job offer from them, you don't have a decision to make anyway!

Last edited by binsleepen; 13th Apr 2013 at 16:15.