PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 09:51
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember BFS101 that FR had to limit the number of passengers because of the runway length at BHD and that would have effected yields.

Whilst STN is indeed my favourite airport, that doesn't mean that I want every carrier to serve it or move from elsewhere, but I do think STN is in need for more domestic traffic. It would of course be sad to see BE leave LGW as that too is a great airport, but in a different way.

However, I don't think BE are competitive enough to compete directly with the likes of BA and EZY at LGW (especially since the charging structure at LGW already puts BE in a less competiteive position). LGW want bigger planes to maximise the efficiency of it's runway and that means higher charges for BE's smaller Dash 8 and Embraer aircraft. In recent years, BE have been cutting back in LGW and losing their market share in London as a whole as other carriers have been growing their domestic traffic (those carriers being BA and EZY).

STN has more capacity for growth, less direct competition (in most cases, none at all), an underserved domestic route network and BE would not be disadvantaged by paying higher charges than its rivals. For those who say FR is the problem, Rubbish! FR fly ONE domestic route from STN and that's to Derry. There would be virtually nill competition between BE and FR.

Last edited by FRatSTN; 13th Apr 2013 at 09:57.