PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - type-rated (757) terrorists ?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2001, 17:05
flappyfeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The mobile calls from the poor people on board these aircraft indicated that the terrorists were stabbing, or threatening to stab, the cabin crew to entice them out of the flight deck (FD). All this brings in to stark relief that if these fanatics hadn't gained access to the controls then these tragedies would be have been less likely to happen.
In my ops manual, any cabin disturbance should never be a reason to leave the flight deck. I wonder whether the pilots in the crashed aircraft were forced out of the FD, or left it to try and help their crew? It must have been a bloody invidious position to be in and I can't believe that any one put in their position with knowledge of previous hijacks, mainly ending peacefully, can blame them for their actions (whatever they were, despite this outcome). I feel however that in the near future that there may be some sort of legislation to keep the pilots at the controls and FD doors to remain locked at all times. This would make pee breaks, food and drink moments a bit interesting to achieve, particularly on long haul. Does any one out there have any thoughts on this one?