PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 10th Apr 2013, 13:03
Hedski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

I think it's fair to say there are pro's and cons on both sides. Of late it has been noted that the most recent mil turned civ SAR and offshore commanders display exemplary CRM and an even better attitude toward copilots wishing to contribute and progress than many a HP graduate. Whilst true that ex mil commanders of old sometimes had a horrendous attitude I can say from experience that the same still exists within the large helicopter companies in the offshore and SAR games but is now perpetuated by non ex mil people who seem to make the point that they suffered in the past therefore everybody else should have to. Indeed the most arrogant and condescending in my experience all came from a pure civilian background so it works both ways. Knowledge is power and all that.

As for qualifications and experience the only worry to me is where those of distant previous S61 SAR experience, sometimes only as P2, get parachuted into positions as their offshore experience, while beneficial, and previous SAR time are believed to suffice for currency and type experience. The game has changed a lot and the goalposts have moved a long way since Bristow last conducted SAR in the UK or Ireland. It is certainly a far more intricate and complex task with modern technology and capabilities than the relatively simple days of the 'sticky bun'.

Devils Advocate.....