PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 10th Apr 2013, 10:40
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Crab, as I said I've done just enough SAR training to know that SAR requires its own set of skills and without adequate training, its a very difficult job. With adequate training, its a job like any other (well, maybe a more interesting one at times if you can stand the hours vegetating in the crew room!). When Bristow had the northern SAR bases its funny how we managed to train numerous copilots, many of whom are now very experienced SAR commanders.

The only major crash I can recall was when an ex mil up-himself commander managed to reverse an S61 into the sea. He was the type who thought that his copilot should be seen and not heard, an attitude inherited from the mil that I'm glad to say we have totally stamped out a long time ago.

All I am saying is that its just a job that, like any other aviation role, needs adequate training, but there is no myth, mysticism nor magic about it, you don't have to be a god to do it. In fact, am I not right in thinking that at least for the RAF, during initial training the hotshots go to fast jets, the also-rans go on to helis? So not exactly the cream of the crop!

HF Bristow have sensible command progression schemes - why would you imagine that we would keep a copilot in LHS copilot role for years, then suddenly expect him to become captain over night? Rather daft question if I may say so!

Last edited by HeliComparator; 10th Apr 2013 at 10:43.