PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oban/Glenforsa News
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2013, 07:15
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst there are many scare stories regarding liability insurance they are just that at least in the UK.

Insurance for grass strips is still 'relatively' affordable. Which tells you that the claim history is very modest, insurance companies are very quick to respond to losing money by jacking up premiums!

I read the AAIB report on this 'accident', given the lack of injuries it is the usual pilot commentry and looks like a classic wheel barrow landing following a bounce.

ABC's response is pretty typical of ABC, close the airfield, train 7 (yes 7!) people to carry out airfield inspections and generally ensure that no blame can ever be pointed at anyone....

Given the Oban fiasco it would be wishful thinking to expect anything else. As far as having to have a/g at Mull? Well we never used to! Over recent years DH has become very cautious in his advice - having seen tired or inept pilots make very lurid arrivals and depatures. Does a/g add a lot? If you know the place or understand the crosswind issues no, otherwise it must help. But that means ABC would have to support some form of decision - so it is not going to happen.

I would love ABC to end up leasing the strip to the hotel as part of their plan for a sustainable future for the strip - but given the politics I do n't suppose that will happen. Still at least the strip is open for the moment - given the general situation it is probably the best we can hope for......