PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oban/Glenforsa News
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 12:03
crt86t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glenforsa PPR from the Council?

I was dismayed to learn from various aviation forum sources that the AGCS operator at Glenforsa is apparently no longer allowed to use the published radio frequency. Bearing in mind that while all airfields are inspected in the morning (debris, ruts,rabbit holes, wind socks, obstructions, etc.), flying conditions can change drastically during the day possibly later rendering them unsafe for aircraft to land. Current advice can be critical for safe operation and this MUSTbe given on the radio if conditions warrant it. Also, a pilot departing needs to know that his radio is working prior to taking off as his next call would normally be to Oban or Scottish Information as he proceeds en-route and this would not be possible if his radio or headset had failed or was not working correctly on the ground.
I realise that Glenforsa ispublished everywhere in general aviation documentation as PPR (Prior PermissionRequired and this has always has been so from Mr. Howitt), and now additionally from theCouncil, but with all due respect, unless the Council has a person who is aware of the aviation implications for any particular airfield, this PPR could be completely misleading and potentially dangerous.

For example, regarding to the“accident” last September, a totally satisfactory morning airfield inspection would have had absolutely no bearing at all on the extremely poor airmanship of the pilot who crashed regardless of ANY advice given. Glenforsa has definitely suffered through no fault of its own due to the pilot’s mistake (or incompetence).

Before I personally fly in to Glenforsa again I would like comments and re-assurance as to the qualifications of exactly who in the Council can give “current aviation conditions” to me (or any other pilot) other than someone who may have inspected the runway many hours earlier.