PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oban/Glenforsa News
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2013, 15:30
Bigglesthefrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least it's open

Lets not winge too much about who does the inspection or where he comes from, because at least the airfield's open. In this day and age with the media running the show, and the banning brigade in full swing it's a miracle that it's back to business again.
With a group of three other aeroplanes I flew into Glenforsa last year and stayed two nights in the hotel, whilst flying round the islands during the day. I was thrilled to land our Piper Arrow on the beach at Barra and later at Oban where the Airfield fire service very kindly rinsed the salt off for us.
I have to say that after reading some awful verbal attacks on these guys at Oban airport here on this forum, I'm amazed that they could even be bothered to wish us the time of day.
But no, they were the nicest people you could ever want to meet going way beyond the call of duty. Later, when one Cessna from our team burst a tyre on landing and couldn't taxi off the runway, they put their backs into it (literally) and got the aircraft into a safe position and then helped to remove the wheel so we could get it repaired the next day.
So I'm not accepting any bad mouthing of the people at Oban airport. The politicians are fair game for complaint, but not the people who simply do their job at the airport.
I'll finish by saying just what a wonderful time we all had on our (at times IMC)
tour of the islands. Many thanks to Brendan and Allison who looked after us most splendidly and thank you very much Scotland!!