PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In defence of WWW
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2001, 14:46
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 204 Likes on 72 Posts
Lightbulb

Hmm, medium term predicitons are very hard to make. Its interesting that you raise the matter of EU consolodation of state airlines.

My Landlord was relating a story to me the other evening. He had been chatting to Bob Ayling at work who predicted that by 2005 there would be only 4 main carriers in Europe recognisable from today. This was Bobs view a couple of years ago.

It does seem a little old fashioned to keep the Iberias, Air Frances and Alitalias of this world operating at a commercial loss just so one has a Flag Carrier.

Perhaps EU wide consolodation will result in greater effiency which equates to a lower requirment overall for pilots as aircraft fly fuller.

Not something I have given much thought to and like most am guilty of thinking about the airline hiring market in purely national terms and references. Which is of course a nonsense post-JAA FCL.

That said there are more people in the EU than the US. If a decent restructuring takes place and service improves whilst ticket prices fall al a USA then perhaps the EU aviation market can grow to rival the size of the US market and there would be jobs for all during that expansion.

Interesting times,