PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight hours as a co pilot (PF) role B737
Old 5th Apr 2013, 23:33
Pack2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"As for all you anal retentives in Australia on this subject, who can't tell the difference between P1 and P1 U/S"

There are 2 control seats. One is labeled P1 and the other P2. You can only occupy one of them at any given time. To manipulate flight time to give the impression of command time while sitting in the P2 seat is both dishonest and delusional regardless of what your local authority may permit you to do in the interests of meeting the command hour requirement for the issue of an ATPL.

In my opinion the only time ICUS would be a valid entry in my log book would be if I was occupying the P1 seat after having completed both a left hand seat training syllabus and passed an LPC/IR check and was undergoing command line training. Now I am acting as pilot in command under supervision until cleared to line as a captain.

In the real world of commercial aviation however, Airlines have conspired with aviation regulatory authorities to come up with a system to allow the transition of their cadets to the left hand seat of commercial jets without having to gain the actual experience which was traditionally required.

To put it all into perspective, if you are allowed or indeed expected to log your flight time as ICUS for the purpose of gaining command time for the issue of a licence, then by all means do so. However, realise too that when you come to sit in front of me for that job interview and we discuss your command experience, you may well not be the most suitable candidate having not ACTUALLY held a previous command position.