PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 4th Apr 2013, 20:18
Pol Potty mouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't agree more with what Seniortrooper has written.

It seems clear to me that Bristow have a requirement for experienced, reliable and safe rearcrew; 'managed transition' will work well for ensuring the provision of winch-ops and winchmen. However, it's a different kettle of fish for the front-enders. The requirements for captains, not least 250hrs oil and gas, mean that few, if any, mil pilots could feasibly get through the requisite trg in time to find a captain's seat on a shiny new S92 or AW189. Remember that under 'managed transition' the RN/RAF will be retaining them until the vinegar strokes of mil SAR. (A complete cynic might suggest that Bristow's motivation for setting down some of these requirements might be seen here!) A few ex-mil pilots might get into a co-pilot's seat but that will be about that. And after all, given that they are only advertising for 50 capts and 50 co-pilots, the market is relatively awash with available pilots, many type-qualified, who might feasibly be able to describe themselves as 'SAR-qualified'*.

The roadshow that will visit the SAR flights is all about Bristow AFAIK, but I bet SARF, Cdr SK and Manning are all praying that it all sounds convincing, else the much-feared race to PVR will start soon after! Certainly for the pilots anyway.

* not necessarily SAR-current and probably have only thought about SAR as a 'secondary role' with 'Andrew', but from Bristow's perpective they are close enough to being SAR pilots I guess.