PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning v F16
Thread: Lightning v F16
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 17:51
ARXW

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice stuff...

Ali:
>Basically, anything with a radar missile would ruin your day.

You shouldn't complain the F-16 in those days had no radar missiles!

Having said that I recall reading a sortie by the Binbrook CO 1v2 Tornados in their early days when they had Foxhunter problems. He beat 'em both in both the setups they flew against each other!!

>The poor old Red Top was limited to about 30 degrees off the tail, something that was damn difficult to acheive, especially against an aircraft like an F-16.

Is that why Ian Black said 'in a guns only fight the Lightning could still make the eyes of electric jet pilots water'?!

>I've got a picture in my log book taken from the gun camera (mounted at the bottom of the air intake - hence the pitot tube appears in the frame) of an F-16 being bayonetted in germany, but I snuck up on him when he wasn't looking.

...Nice Btw isn't that the thing tactics try to achieve? Entering a fight unseen before the bogeys have time to react?

>I can remember a 2v2 against French Mirage 3s overhead Paris (yes, I do mean overhead Paris) with a base height of 30,000ft!

Erghh who won? Having mentioned that which aircraft of that generation could give a Lightning more problems? A Phantom? A Mirage F1?

>Christmas present was a Mk3 with the belly tank removed. Hold burners (not 86%) against brakes until the tyre slips around the rim, let the brakes go and airborne before the first RHAG, pure vertical climb until there is enough fuel to come back down

Does that mean that a ventralless F3 could sustain the vertical for much longer than an F6? Excuse my ignorance...

cheers