PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 20:01
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NRDK
You see, that is why the MOD is too expensive. 2 years for an experienced pilot to go live?
NRDK I agree entirely.

CRAB
starting from a SARTU refresher - 1-2 months and then the SK OCU which normally takes 9 months.
Nine Months?? When did that happen ffs??
If that's now the case, then added to the Valley Gin Palace, the SARF Commander and his 'whirlpool' of Wing Commanders and 'satisfaction' of Squadron Leaders (collective nouns), I am not at all surprised that Mil SAR has been deemed too expensive; it bloody well is AND there's crap serviceability to boot!

Just for info, I went SAR at Valley in the olden days after two tours SH (a healthy dose of RAFG followed by a distinctly unhealthy dose of SHDNI (or SHNFI). SARTS (as was) had Whirlwinds so I never did the 'long course'. I was on shift as a Wessex captain (D cat) within three weeks, following training officers checks with the Sqn QHI. After eight years I converted to Sea Kings (4 months) and seven months later was off to the Falklands for four months as an Op Capt. Eight years on SK saw me back on Wessex and then when the 3a finally appeared after three years, a week at the sim (no aircraft to fly!) found me back as captain on the first SK shift at Valley.

The actual job, and the capabilities of the crews, has not changed significantly since I handed my watch back. So, what went wrong?

Last edited by Al-bert; 3rd Apr 2013 at 20:01.