PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 15:26
Spanish Waltzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the managed transition will happily work for the mil rearcrew because they don't need licences, IRs, glass cockpit time etc etc. they can also provide the much needed continuity and local knowledge that some posters say is essential (although its incredible how if this is so vital, mil crews have been permitted to hold shifts at other locations or be tasked by ARCC outside of their own patch on so many occasions!)

There is also a shortage of current civ SAR experienced rearcrew in UK to fill the future contract.

I can genuinely see it being a bigger problem for mil pilots. There are plenty of civ pilots operating in N sea and elsewhere who have a SAR background, either civil or mil. Not all of them will want to go back to SAR but some will. There are also the ex mil pilots being taken on right now to gain type experience in the N sea too.

I can see those mil pilots lucky enough to be given the managed transition will end up in co pilot jobs in the less popular locations waiting to fill dead men's shoes for capt slots...