PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not in it for the money.
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 16:31
martinbakerfanclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feel better after that cricketer? I hope so.

I sympathise with both your situation, and the points you make; however, i stand by my statement.

You would be amazed at the amount of fresh out the box pilots I have met over the years who honestly thought they would walk out of school on the friday, and slide into that dream job on the monday. I WISH it was a different attitude i had found, but it wasn't.....and even these days, i've STILL came across that attitude.

Not long after Sept 11th 01, I visited OATS with my nephew, uninvited and incognito, to do a little sneaky recon away from the hard sell and tea and biscuits, big smiles, sign here please enviroment. It really shook me up the amount of students we talked to who honestly believed they would walk out of there, and straight into a RHS with a major carrier.

Where the hell do these poor sods GET this view of the market from? It's coming from somewhere.

You state:
"I get a bit fed up when people slate them for having done their training or for that matter any training in a particular way. We make our choices and live with them. Sure a very small percentage moan and whinge, but not the majority so DON'T treat everyone like that."

I dont believe i did "treat everyone like that"; i merely raised a point, one which I believe is a very valid one. People need to be realistic about the openings out there, and what percieved benefits certain routes will open up for them....not helped when I believe a certain school is selling some line at the moment about "aircrew placements" or some nonsense. Where's the proof; and can the student see it before he/she hands over their borrowed 50k?

Good luck to you, and those like you, Cricketer, I'd hate to be starting off in this industry these days and in your shoes.....but dont shoot the observer eh?