PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MSc Air Transport Management
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 12:38
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having done the Cranfield full-time course a few years back, I'd agree that it is a useful passport into the industry. In the "I wish I'd known that before I started" department, though:

- the intake in my year was predominantly fresh grads with no work experience (unlike me) so the opportunities for learning from classmates (as is typically the case on e.g. an MBA course) were limited. I think the admission standards have occasionally been a little wobbly (I suppose it's a natural dilemma in every college admissions department faced with falling enrollment: "do we admit these marginal candidates or reduce the size of the class - and our revenue?")

- Of the 30-odd in my class, I think there are now only two working in actual airlines (although many more wanted to go into airlines). A lot in aviation-related businesses, sure, but - even before Sept 11 - the course wasn't a smooth route into an airline for most.

On another note: I don't know if it's still the same, but there used to be subsidised flying for students in the college's Bulldogs. Great way to get a relatively cheap PPL in the UK if you can scrape the cash together.

Biggest recruiters in my year (pre Sept 11, remember!) were Airbus and SH&E (consultancy). The former are pretty regular. Easyjet had some interviews too.

Hope this helps.