PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2013, 20:11
LAX_LHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what I can see this is only a stop gap and as soon as traffic
demands it will go back to it`s proper use
It doesn't seem like a stop gap, I mean, how long have the other stands been out of action? Without trawling through years of posts they have got to have been used for car parking for at least 2 years now.

Please tell me more LAX_LHR
I said you were missing the point because, your first argument was that they wouldn't get planning permission. I pointed out that given they have just been granted permission to build a large office complex and logistics hub, I hardly think a MSCP on their own land is suddenly going to become the largest planning battle in history.
You then used the excuse of basically no room as the airport city is a separate development and its needed space for jobs. Considering the extent of the landscaping, it seems space is no a huge issue. In fact, the number of proposed jobs vs car parking for AC, wouldn't be surprised if they needed even more space for the automobile.

At the end of the day, they do make more money on car parking than aircraft stands, that is not what I was debating, not even close. I have no idea about the financial implications of things like car parks nor do I pretend to.
My argument is, the cars are there for 1 thing, the airport. If you start taking more and more away from the reason the cars are there, then surely there comes a point when the number of cars stagnates.

Now, the number of stands at MAN for the typical day operation are not an issue. Its in, between 25 mins and 5 hours on the ground, then out again for the aircraft.

The issue comes at for the based airlines. Easyjet have made no secret MAN will continue to expand, Ryanair have added 1 more aircraft this year than they intended to, and if these aircraft remain for the W13/14 season, then they have to jostle for space with the likes of Thomson and Thomas cook who seemed to have a lot of aircraft on the ground at any 1 stage this winter, as well as the Jet2 static display team.

Where can MAN put these aircraft? Well, the answer is under 1000 cars on the apron it seems.