PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C210 crash in Roma
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2013, 06:15
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
That's exactly how I do it, follow the flight director bars, and turn on the autopilot as soon as I can, and don't touch anything till you get to 1000ft AGL.
For those of us that fly aircraft with a flight director, I set it up so it displays 10 degrees up in the line up position then fly straight into it after rotate.

Interesting comments in view of Pprune discussions on other forums on the subject of automation dependency and it's role in accidents. Even the FAA have finally come to the conclusion this is a serious trend and have recommended operators encourage their pilots to fly manually when circumstances permit.

Even so, there is little doubt that some pilots prefer to avoid manual flying as they lack confidence in themselves because of their addiction to flight directors.

The highlighted comment above is a case in point. If on night departures in general aviation types you hastily lock on to flight director at lift off and engage the autopilot "as soon as I can", then is it possible you may have a case of automation dependency without being aware of it?

Last edited by Centaurus; 30th Mar 2013 at 09:47.