PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet 2 Recruitment!
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2013, 07:42
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facelookbovverd

I think you make some very good points, when I was interviewed for a Jet2 job the pilot doing the interview admitted that in his opinion the computer tests resulted in some very experienced people not getting jobs ( largely because the tests are aimed at assessing training risk for non pilots, not skill levels of current pilots). This has come to bite Jet2 in the but as they now scrape the bottom of the bottom of the barrel having rejected qualified candidates earlier in the year.

A few months back I was on a CRM course run by an Educational Psychologist from a Scandinavian university who had done a lot of research into pilot recruiting for both the airlines and military, his research had found that the types of tests that Jet2 employ are valid for non pilots as they are a good indicator of training risk, however once you become a pilot these tests are not good indicators as some of the tests require the experienced candidate to "unlearn" habits that have been ingrained in years of flying to pass the test. Add to this a Mathematics test aimed at school leavers and you have a system that discriminates against the the very experienced pilot.

If this Educational Psycologist is correct it can be proven by simply rostering a few of the older line pilots for the tests, my guess is this the HR people would strongly object to this as it is likely to result in a large proportion of the guys being tested finding that acording to HR they are unfit to do the job they are currently employed to do !

The Educational Psychologist was of the opinion following research that the best way to screen experienced pilots was an interview with two pilots and if considered OK a Sim check.

As always the problem for expanding airlines is getting the experienced pilots who have a lot of command time under their belts not 200 hour flying school graduates. I have no doubt that by offering type 737 ratings that could get some experienced captains from the military and other civil operators but these guys won't be able to fill the seats this summer season.

Finally I would like to thank the HR people at Jet2 as for me the Jet2 screening was a total sucsess their choice to reject the value of 13,000 hours flying (4000 PIC B737) in favoir of the compass test that apparently I failed resulted in me not being committed to a job in Jet2 and being able to take a position with an airline that has newer eqipment, better T&C'S and a base on my doorstep rather than oop north.

Last edited by A and C; 28th Mar 2013 at 07:43.