PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Permission for farm strip
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2013, 05:35
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm at the edge of my competence here, but I theeeeenk local councils have no power whatsover over PRIVATE operations on your own land because aviation is regulated at a Federal level and there is no state ad local government head of power applicable. Of course if you ask the local council you will get the answer "Yes, we do have power" and now that you have forwarned them of your intentions you can expect trouble.

Best thing is to do your homework and ignore council completely if the legal opinion is in your favor.

If you want to run a BUSINESS that is different and the council may well want to make restrictions which they have the power to do.

Then there is the little matter of water runoff which should be fixable. If you want a hangar, call it a "machinery shed" because you will need a building permit.

Then there are the neighbours. I'm house hunting at the moment and certain country properties are off limits because of proximity to racehorse studs - and those guys have expensive lawyers and no liking for little noisy aircraft. You are entitled I think to aviate as part of your "quiet enjoyment" of your property but it might result in civil action if someone else feels their quiet enjoyment is infringed by you.

The CASA website has a general specification for an ALA which gives recommended clearances, grades, etc.

Good luck and over to the experts........

Last edited by Sunfish; 28th Mar 2013 at 05:41.