PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C210 crash in Roma
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2013, 00:34
BEACH KING

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flight Director
For those of us that fly aircraft with a flight director, I set it up so it displays 10 degrees up in the line up position then fly straight into it after rotate. A very useful tool if so equipped on those dark nights.
That's exactly how I do it, follow the flight director bars, and turn on the autopilot as soon as I can, and don't touch anything till you get to 1000ft AGL.
This maintains the 10 degree pitch up and I do all turns by rotating the heading bug. That way the autopilot is flying the aircraft and you are monitoring it in case something fails or goes awry.
I was very fortunate to do all my night training out of very "black hole" bush airstrips with a very experienced ex RFDS instructor, who deliberately induced all the bad effects that can happen at night. The somatogravic illusion is a very powerful event, and I found it required intense concentration to overcome. Every time you looked away from the scan, he would give you a clip under the ear with his torch!

Runway 36 at YROM, YTGM, YCMU and rwy 12 at YBCV on take-off are as black as you get on a moonless night.