PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westland Scout
Thread: Westland Scout
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2003, 17:32
flygunz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped reading after the first two reports as I was beginning to feel a rant coming on. I have a big problem with anyone thinking they can fly a Scout safely with only a few hours on type and I would be concerned for anyone going for a pleasure ride with a low time wannabe at the controls.
When the Military trained Pilots to fly the Scout they had already flown Gazelle and even then they were given 40 hours of training. Now before anyone jumps down my throat about tactical training, there was very little on the Scout conversion, most of the time was pure handling, IF and EOLs. EOLs, there was only one real technique for this autorotative brick with short stubby wings, and that was 50 kts to ground rush then... flarechecklevelkeepitstraight.......... Hope that comes across ok?
The reason for all this GH?.... The Scout would bite yer ass if she wasn't handled properly and many an ass has been bitten over the years including mine!
So DBchops, think first, check out the operation, see who does the maint, ask how experienced the Pilot is on the machine and his recency. Above all, if he asks you if you want to see what the baby can do.... decline.
Rant over....sorry!!