PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C210 crash in Roma
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2013, 01:45
Dora-9

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
The "super equipment" quip is a bit unfair.
Yes, on second thoughts you're correct - Centaurus, please consider the quip humbly withdrawn. However I think you're incorrect to say that it couldn't be this effect simply because you don't think the aircraft concerned had sufficient acceleration. How much acceleration is enough?

Is "somatogravic illusion" a fancy way of saying, "the aeroplane was allowed to descend back into the ground"?
Forky, the simple answer is no, and yes. The pilot pushes forward to overcome a perception (the somotogravic illusion) of rotating backwards, and the aircraft contacts the ground when it should be climbing away. But you could also argue that if he flew his instruments and ignored the sensations then he wouldn't allow the aircraft to descend back into the ground. I recall when I first got an instrument rating being told over and over again to ignore the sensations/fly the instruments. Good advice indeed, that was 45 years ago, and given the right trigger(s) I can occasionally still experience "the leans"!

Last edited by Dora-9; 26th Mar 2013 at 01:49.